There are probably at least another 20 special spots in lower Fairfield county for summer's sweetest and most coveted frozen treat, but today we decided to focus on a handful of nearby (as in close to our TRRG office HQ), fast fixes for that ice cream craving. Craft dairy bars can also be found throughout our very special state - a topic for another post though!
So, without further adieu here are our top 5 spots from towns West to East.
- Brendan's 101 located in Rowayton, CT - Great spot for lobster rolls, grilled cheese, and other easy quick service meals.
- Stew Leonard's located in Norwalk, CT - Grocery shop, spend $100+ (save your receipt to show) and receive a free, famous small soft serve ice cream.
- Saugatuck Sweets located in Westport + Fairfield, CT - Always a favorite spot for "penny" candy, Longford's ice cream, and baked goods - owners Al and Christine DiGuido make it their business to sweeten up your day!
- Milkcraft located in Fairfield, CT - Signature items include the Bubblecone (Hong Kong carmelized cone), the Creamee Bun (sweet glazed bun), and the small batch ice cream. Trust us, this is a meal, not just a treat.
- 16 Handles located in Fairfield, CT - If fat-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, or low sugar options are needed, this may just be your spot. With 16 flavors on rotation, you are almost certain to hit the soft-serve ice cream, soft-serve sorbet, and frozen yogurt lottery!! The toppings bar is also a crowd-pleaser. We are especially fond of the mini chocolate chip cookie dough bites and the full scoop chocolate chip cookie dough balls.
For an expanded list of Ice Cream go-to's, we encourage you to visit the very comprehensive CTBites list!! This one covers the whole state with comments from readers offering additional spots for your consideration.
And now we leave you with an ice cream joke:
- Where do you learn to make complicated ice cream dishes?